CSC Bunkum #1 2017 - General Info, pre-season Work Party
27 February 2017
Welcome to 2017 - we finally have summer weather so … time to start thinking about winter! There’s lots of development going on at Whakapapa - doubling the snowmaking capacity, a revamp of Happy Valley (including 2 x 26 person elevators replacing the chairlift from the carpark) and a new “Delta Quad” chairlift replacing the Waterfall T-Bar. And a gondola in the pipeline – exciting times!
We have had some movement on the Christie Committee, confirmed at last year’s AGM in November. Departing from the committee are David Glenn, Jo Studer, Keith O’Donnell, Shane Walden and Dave Kerr. They will be missed and we thank them for their hard work and many contributions to the club over many years. We welcome Bryan Clements as our new Club President, Julie McKenzie moves to Past President and Gary Verberne to Vice President. We also welcome new committee members Matt Fulton (who takes up the position of Treasurer), Rik Fisk, Pete Studer and Matt Holcroft. It’s great to see some new faces in there. We’ve had our first meeting for the year and everyone is looking forward to a smooth and successful season. We are still seeking a club secretary, and junior club captain. If you’re even a little bit interested, and would like some more info on what’s involved, please let me know. (“My fellow Christianians, ask not what your club can do for you, ask what you can do for your club.” - John F Ski-nnedy, 1961)
Important dates for the season have been set and are available in the club calendar. The 2017 pre-season “Provisions” work party is set for Saturday & Sunday, April 1 & 2. This work party is ideally suited for Junior members of all ages; we clean the pantry out, replenish it with the latest and greatest, stack a heap of fire wood, clean and paint. It would be great to see some of our newer families come and lend a hand and find out how the provisioning logistics work. Plus it exempts you from the Work Party levy in your annual subs – a saving of $150 per senior member. If you can attend this work party, please contact Bryan Clements at email@example.com
Some other dates for your calendar:
- Mid-winter Xmas – Saturday, 15 July. A great way to kick off the season. This hasn’t run the last couple of years, due mainly to late snow. However this year it’s in the middle of the school holidays and the new all-weather snow makers should provide snow if the weather doesn’t.
- Christiania Derby – Saturday, August 5. The first inter club event of the year, a Whakapapa institution. Loads of fun …
- Mens Few Days – Monday & Tuesday, 7 & 8 August
- Ladies Few Days - Monday & Tuesday, 14 & 15 August
- Christie Club Races – Saturday, 30 September
- End of season work party - Saturday & Sunday, 11 & 12 November
- Christiania AGM – Thursday, 23 November
Invoicing for subs will occur in early April. If you’re aware of any changes to your membership status, please let me know as soon as possible. Access codes to the booking system will be sent out on receipt of payment.
We will continue with the booking restrictions that have been in place for the last couple of years. Full details will follow closer to the time but essentially:
- A brief priority booking period will be given to members who have family participating in RAL’s ski or snowboard programs such as Flyers, Warriors, Master of the Mountain, Race camps, Holiday programs etc
- School holiday bookings will be limited to predefined blocks of 4 nights only from the time bookings open until early May. After this time the restriction will be removed. This will allow a greater number of families access to the lodge during these peak times.
Christiania needs new members and our favourite new members are friends of current members. If you have friends or associates that you think might like to join up, please direct them to our website. There is currently no joining fee, usually $250 per family, but this will reinstated once we are at optimum membership numbers. Tell your friends: “Join now and save money. Come to the pre-season work party and save even more money!!”
Remember, the lodge is available to be used all year round. We’ve had a couple of corporate groups use the lodge over summer and this has been a great success. Please direct any queries about group bookings to the Christiania Booking Officer, Jenny Muir, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy the rest of summer, we’ll be up the mountain in front of the fire before you know it!